If you're a fan of waffles, why not make the switch to something healthier?
In today's post, we'll be sharing three mouthwatering waffle recipes made from scratch using the healthiest ingredients.
These delectable treats are not only satisfying but also packed with nutrients to kick-start your day on a positive note.
So, let's get started and dive into the world of healthy waffles recipe-making!
What are Healthy Waffles
When making healthy waffles recipe, consider using natural sweeteners like pure maple syrup, honey, or stevia instead of refined sugars.
This helps to reduce the overall calorie count and keeps your blood sugar levels stable.
For a protein-packed twist, try adding Greek yoghurt or cottage cheese to the batter, which will also give your waffles a moist and tender texture.
Another way to make your waffles healthier is by incorporating fruits and vegetables into the batter, such as grated zucchini or mashed bananas, which not only provide essential vitamins and minerals but also add natural sweetness and moisture.
Instead of using butter or oil, opt for applesauce or mashed avocado, which are healthier fat alternatives that contribute to a moist and fluffy waffle.
By following these tips and experimenting with unique substitutions, you can create a tasty and wholesome breakfast option that will keep you fuelled throughout the day, all while satisfying your cravings for this classic comfort food.
1. Classic Whole Wheat Healthy Waffle Recipe
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup milk (dairy or plant-based) or unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2: In a separate bowl, combine the honey (or maple syrup), milk, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, and eggs. Whisk until well blended.
Step 3: Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
Step 4: Preheat your waffle maker according to the manufacturer's instructions and lightly grease it with cooking spray or coconut oil.
Step 5: Pour the waffle batter onto the hot waffle maker, close the lid, and cook until golden brown and crispy. Repeat until all the waffle batter is used.
Step 6: Serve the whole wheat waffles with fresh fruit, a drizzle of honey or pure maple syrup, and a sprinkle of ground flaxseed for added health benefits. Enjoy!
2. Banana Oat Healthy Waffle Recipe
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup milk (dairy or plant-based)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional healthy waffle toppings: sliced bananas, chopped nuts, and a drizzle of honey
Step 1: In a blender or food processor, combine the mashed bananas, rolled oats, milk, eggs, honey (or maple syrup), baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Blend until smooth and well combined.
Step 2: Allow the waffle batter to rest for about 10 minutes to let the oats absorb the liquid and thicken.
Step 3: Preheat your waffle iron and lightly grease it with cooking spray or coconut oil.
Step 4: Pour the waffle batter onto the hot waffle maker, close the lid, and cook until crispy and golden brown.
Step 5: Top the banana oat waffles with sliced bananas, chopped nuts, and a drizzle of honey for extra flavour and texture.
Step 6: Dive in and enjoy these scrumptious and naturally sweet waffles guilt-free!
3. Protein-Packed Peanut Butter Healthy Waffle Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups milk (dairy or plant-based)
- 2 eggs
- Optional toppings: sliced bananas, crushed peanuts, and a drizzle of peanut butter or another nut butter.
Step 1: In a mixing bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, vanilla protein powder, ground flaxseed, baking powder, and salt.
Step 2: In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the peanut butter and honey (or pure maple syrup) together until smooth. Stir well.
Step 3: In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, and melted peanut butter mixture.
Step 4: Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Again, avoid overmixing.
Step 5: Preheat your waffle iron and lightly grease it with cooking spray or coconut oil.
Step 6: Pour the batter onto the hot waffle iron, close the lid, and cook until crispy and golden brown.
Step 7: Serve the protein-packed peanut butter waffles with sliced bananas, crushed peanuts, and a drizzle of peanut butter for a delightful nutty flavour and an extra protein boost.
Step 8: Enjoy these satisfying and nutritious waffles that will keep you fueled throughout the day!
If you want a simpler protein-packed waffle recipe that only uses 5 ingredients, check out this video by The Protein Chef:
Benefits of Using Whole Grain Flour, Eggs and Protein Powder in Waffles
1. Whole Grain Flour:
Whole grain flour is made from the entire grain, including the bran, germ, and endosperm, which provides more nutrients compared to refined flour. It is an excellent source of dietary fibre, B vitamins (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, and folate), and minerals such as iron, magnesium, and selenium. Here's how these nutrients benefit your body:
- Fiber: Whole grain flour is rich in dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, helps regulate blood sugar levels, and promotes a feeling of fullness, reducing overeating and supporting weight management.
- B Vitamins: These vitamins play crucial roles in energy metabolism, nerve function, and the production of red blood cells, promoting overall vitality.
- Minerals: Iron is essential for oxygen transport in the body, magnesium contributes to bone health and energy production, and selenium acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage.
Tip: When choosing whole grain flour, look for labels that say "100% whole grain" or "whole wheat" to ensure you're getting the full nutritional benefits. Aim to replace refined flour with whole grain flour in your waffle recipe for a healthier option.
Eggs are highly nutritious and provide an array of essential nutrients that support various bodily functions. They are an excellent source of high-quality protein, healthy fats, vitamins (A, D, E, and B vitamins), minerals (iron, zinc, and selenium), and antioxidants. Here's how these nutrients benefit your body:
- Protein: Eggs are one of the best sources of complete protein, containing all nine essential amino acids necessary for building and repairing tissues, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a strong immune system.
- Healthy Fats: Eggs provide healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health, brain function, and reducing inflammation.
- Vitamins: Eggs are rich in several vitamins, including vitamin A, which is essential for eye health, vitamin D for bone health, and B vitamins for energy production and overall well-being.
- Minerals: Iron is necessary for oxygen transport, zinc supports immune function and wound healing, while selenium acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from damage.
Tip: Opt for organic, free-range eggs whenever possible to ensure the highest quality and nutritional value. Be mindful of portion sizes, as consuming excessive amounts of eggs may contribute to high cholesterol levels for some individuals. If you have specific dietary restrictions or concerns, consult with a healthcare professional.
3. Protein Powder:
Protein powder, such as whey, soy, or pea protein, can be a beneficial addition to your waffle recipe. It provides a concentrated source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissues, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system. Additional benefits of protein powder include:
- Convenience: Protein powder offers a quick and convenient way to increase your protein intake, especially for individuals with higher protein requirements, such as athletes or those looking to build muscle.
- Satiety: Protein-rich meals, including protein powder-infused waffles, can help you feel fuller for longer, reducing cravings and aiding in weight management.
- Muscle Recovery: Consuming protein after exercise can support muscle recovery and repair, enhancing overall athletic performance.
Tip: When selecting a protein powder, consider your dietary needs and preferences. Choose a high-quality protein powder without excessive added sugars or artificial additives. Follow the recommended serving size provided by the manufacturer.
Secrets and Suggestions
1. To make your waffles extra crispy, leave them in the waffle iron for a little longer until they reach your desired texture.
2. Feel free to customize your waffles by adding your favourite mix-ins, such as blueberries, dark chocolate chips, or shredded coconut.
3. Leftover waffles can be frozen and reheated in a toaster for a quick and convenient breakfast option on busy mornings.
4. If you prefer a vegan option, you can substitute the eggs with flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons water per egg).
5. Experiment with different types of flour, such as spelt flour, oat flour or almond flour, to add variety and cater to different dietary preferences.
Benefits of Waffle-Making as a Healthy Breakfast Meal
1. Versatility: Waffles offer a versatile canvas for incorporating various nutritious ingredients, from whole grains to fruits and nuts, allowing you to customize them according to your taste and dietary needs.
2. Balanced Nutrition: By using whole grain flour and adding protein-rich ingredients like eggs or protein powder, waffles can provide a balanced mix of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats, keeping you satisfied and energized.
3. Portion Control: The distinct waffle shape naturally helps with portion control, allowing you to enjoy a satisfying meal without overindulging.
4. Family-Friendly: Waffles are a crowd-pleaser and a fantastic way to encourage healthy eating habits among family members, especially kids who may be more inclined to eat a nutritious breakfast when it's presented in a fun and delicious way.
Need a waffle iron? Check out our best Ceramic Waffle Maker picks and get ready to make some delicious waffles!
With these three delectable and nutritious waffle recipes, you can indulge in a guilt-free breakfast without compromising your health goals.
By choosing wholesome ingredients and adding your favourite toppings, you can create waffles that are both satisfying and packed with nutrients.
So, why settle for ordinary breakfast options when you can elevate your mornings with these scrumptious and healthy waffles? Start your day on the right note and savour the goodness in every bite!