Bread is a staple food around the world, and there are numerous methods for how to make it. For many bakers, one of the most popular ways to get that soft, fluffy texture that everyone loves is to bake in a Dutch oven.
But why use a Dutch oven? What makes this method so special? Keep reading to find out!
Each product below was independently selected by our editors. Some may have been sent as samples for us to fiddle with, but all opinions in this article are our own. IncredibleRatings is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program that allows us to earn money linking to Amazon.com and associated websites. When you click on or make a purchase through an affiliate link on IncredibleRatings, we might get a small commission at no additional cost to you.
What Is a Dutch Oven?
A Dutch oven is essentially an oven-safe pot or container made from cast iron, which has been designed for cooking at high temperatures.
The lids of these pots are typically made from either cast iron or porcelain, and they have tight-fitting seals which help contain heat and retain moisture while cooking.
This type of container is perfect for making bread because it helps keep the dough moist while also providing an environment where the dough can expand without becoming dried out.
Why Use a Dutch Oven?
There are several benefits to using a Dutch oven when baking bread. Firstly, the heat retention on these pots ensures that your dough will stay at an even temperature throughout the baking process.
The lid also helps hold in moisture which prevents your bread from becoming dry or crumbly during baking.
Another benefit is that you can bake directly in the pot itself; no need to transfer dough into another pan or dish before putting it in the oven. Finally, because of its shape, you’ll get perfectly shaped loaves every time!
Tips for Successful Baking with a Dutch Oven
When using a Dutch oven for baking bread there are few things to keep in mind in order to ensure success every time.
First off, make sure you preheat your oven long enough before placing your dough inside (at least 30 minutes).
Secondly, when placing your dough inside be sure not to crowd it as this will prevent it from rising properly.
Finally, don’t forget to spray the bottom of your pot with nonstick cooking spray before adding any ingredients; this will make sure nothing sticks and prevent burning during baking!
Here is a video from Tasty Peaches for a recipe for easy Artisan Bread: the recipe is below the video:
ARTISAN BREAD/NO KNEAD BREAD RECIPE by Tasty Peaches
Homemade bread, what can sound better than that? Simple and easy recipe that anyone can make. This bread does not require any kneading and the end product is mind blowing. The flavor, the taste and the best sounding crunch... If you love good bread, this recipe is definitely for you.
- 3 cups (400g) flour
- 2 tsp of salt (11g)
- 1 tsp active dry yeast (4g)
- 1 1/2 cup of lukewarm water (350ml) Instructions:
1. To a bowl with lukewarm water (95-100F or about 36C) add yeast, mix well and let the yeast bloom for about 15 mins
2. In a separate bowl with flour, add salt and mix well. That is a great idea to sift your flour to prevent from big flour lumps
3. Once your yeast has bloomed, add flour to the yeast. By using the spatula carefully mix dry and wet ingredients together.
4. Cover it with a damp towel and let it rise for at least 2 hours
5. After 2 hours, transfer the dough into a floured parchment paper
6. Shape the dough into a ball or loaf
7. Cover with a damp towel and let it rest for 30 minutes
8. While your dough is resting, place your Dutch oven (I use 7qt) with a lid on in the oven and preheat to 450F (230C) with the Dutch oven inside
9. Once oven is preheated, carefully remove your Dutch oven out of the oven.
10. Holding the dough by the parchment paper, carefully place the dough into preheated Dutch oven. Cut excess parchment paper.
Please be mindful, Dutch oven will be VERY hot.
11. Cover with a lid and bake in a preheated oven for 30 mins
12. After 30 mins, take the lid off and bake for another 15 mins or until golden crust
13. Take it off, let it rest for 20 mins
14. Enjoy with a salted butter or your favorite meal
If you're looking for perfect loaves every time then look no further than baking with a Dutch oven!
Not only does this method provide even heat distribution and great moisture retention but it also gives you perfectly shaped loaves every single time.
With just a few simple tips and tricks you can achieve bakery-quality results right in your own kitchen!
So if you've been curious about trying out Dutch ovens for bread making then now's your chance—give it a try today!
Need a dutch oven to make bread? Check out our top picks!